Friday, July 15, 2011

All About You...Steven Lang

For the next couple of months we will be highlighting artists from Untitled 8 and SooFUZE. First up is Steven Lang (exhibiting work in Untitled 8):

1. What is your first art related childhood memory?

When I was four years old, my father left me alone “only for a minute” with an open can of deck paint and a brush. I painted myself red.

2. As an artist, who is your biggest influence?
a.) Artists who are funny, e.g. Peter Fischli and David Weiss, Martin Parr, Bruce Nauman b.) Artists who repeat, e.g. Bernd and Hilla Becher, Jenny Holzer, Ed Rusha. c.) Artists who appropriate, e.g. Richard Prince, Sherry Levine, Robert Heinecken

3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show?

My intuition.


4. Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio.
A stove, a refrigerator, and a sink. I work in the kitchen.

5. What is your least favorite famous work of art?
“American Gothic.” I look exactly like that guy!

6. What art do you have hanging on your walls?
Allen Brewer, Eric Ruby, Samuel Bjorgum, Alec Soth, soon to be Jim Denomie. My own stuff is up, if only to keep it off the floor.


7. What are you working on now?

Paying off my credit card.


8. What will the title of your retrospective at MOMA be?
“I came, I saw, I concurred.”

Thanks Steven!

More of Steven Lang's work HERE.
Untitled 8 will be up through August 21st at SooVAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment