Sunday, July 17, 2011

All About You...Laura Hallen

1. What is your first art related childhood memory?
My grandpa was a kooky inventor and artist himself, and let me have a corner
in his studio where I kept crayons and paper, and my own personal vacuum. I think he liked that I cleaned up after him…

2. As an artist, who is your biggest influence?
It’s pretty hard to narrow it down to one, since there is an abundance of talent right here in Minneapolis, but I’d have to say Ray Kruskopf, my grandpa. And Eva Hesse.

3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show?
Let England Shake by PJ Harvey.

4. Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio.
Bottle rockets, a feather boa and a vintage mink coat

5. What is your least favorite famous work of art?
this may not count as famous, but anything by Thomas Kincaid

6. What art do you have hanging on your walls?
I have art by Greg Euclide, Jaron Childs, Eleanor McGough, Cody Kiser, Eddie Hamilton, Casey Opstad, Jeff Baker, Gene Pittman, Jennifer Davis, DC Ice and of course, my beloved framed family collage wall.

7. What are you working on now?
I’m experiencing a dance between the internal and external landscape of the plexibox and entering a phase where I want the internal landscape of my plexiboxes to be oozing out of the box, down the wall, onto the floor. Or, better yet, an empty plexibox on the wall with a messy pile of stuff on the floor across the room. Even better, a video of me filling the plexibox with bottle rockets, and BOOM!

8. What will the title of your retrospective at MOMA be?
Bottle Rockets, Feather Boas and a Mink Coat

Thanks Laura!

More of Laura Hallen's work HERE.
Untitled 8 will be up through August 21st at SooVAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment