Saturday, July 30, 2011

All About You...Donna Dralle

This week the blog is back to featuring artists from Untitled 8...this time Donna Dralle.

1. What is your first art related childhood memory?

Drawing on used office paper my father brought home after discovering that I started drawing on the end papers of hardback books. I was 3.


2. As an artist, who is your biggest influence?
Cy Twombly

3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show?
Shostakovich, Bartok, Britten, Monteverdi, Bryars, Cage, Schnittke, Ives, Paert, Crumb, and many others.


4. Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio.
A baseball (baseball is art), an image of Rilke, carved wooden birds.


5. What is your least favorite famous work of art?

Monet- all of it- I don’t like Monet. A lot.


6. What art do you have hanging on your walls?
A photo I modeled for; a drawing by Susan McDonald; images of birds (I like birds); a ceramic life mask of Beethoven; a ceramic life mask of me made by my best friend John Poulos in High School.


7. What are you working on now?

Naked composer Series: Monteverdi; after that, another self-portrait- I’ve been working on a sketch.


8. What will the title of your retrospective at MOMA be?
A Life on Paper: Sculpture in 2D (Incidentally- this is why I don’t like to mat my drawings- I really think of them as 3 dimentional objects- hence why they are framed in shadowbox frames.)

Thanks Donna!


For More of Donna Dralle's Work Visit HERE.

Untitled 8 will be up through August 21st.

No comments:

Post a Comment