Friday, July 29, 2011

All About You...Jake Freeman

This time I am mixing it up with one of our SooFUZE Artists, Jake Freeman (he is sixteen). This one is definitely one to watch.

1. What is your first art related childhood memory? My first art related memory would have to be coloring in characters like Aladin, Ariel, and Tarzan with my Mom.

2. As an artist, who is your biggest influence?
I would say my biggest influences are the photographic duo known as Mert & Marcus or the photographer Terry Richardson. I love how Mert & Marcus use color and light and I love how Terry is twistedly sexual with his work.

3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show? A lot of Lissie, Local Natives, Crystal Castles, etc. Basically a lot of Indie tunes.

4. Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio.
The most unexpected thing in my studio would have to be a military knife from World War II.

5. What is your least favorite famous work of art?
My least favorite piece of famous art would have to be the potato eaters by Vincent Van Gogh. Actually, I don’t really like any of Van Gogh’s work.

6. What art do you have hanging on your walls?
I don’t really have much art on my walls these days. At one time I had a giant photo of New York City hanging on my wall, along with some other photos of the city, but now I only have a deer skull and some personal photos.

7. What are you working on now?
Currently, I am in the process of scheduling/planning a beauty shoot that explores the idea of being two faced through color blocked makeup, emotional expressions, and fake body parts.

8. What will the title of your retrospective at MOMA be? I can’t really say at the moment. I am still so young and have a lot of figuring out to do when it comes to my work. You will just have to wait and see.

Thanks Jake!


More of Jake Freeman's work
HERE
SooFUZE will be up until August 21st...visit HERE for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment