Friday, October 1, 2010

All About You...Soo Artist Questionnaire Part 2


Allen Brewer:
1. What is your first art related childhood memory?
seeing the Gustave Courbet exhibit at the MIA with my dad and asking him (confused) what the painting "the Origin of the World" was. He blushed. Commercially speaking, my first art sale was to the mailman. It was a portrait of Garfield.

2. As an artist, who is your biggest influence? the purity and truth of Naive/Folk Art, and my own doubt.

3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show?
My Bloody Valentine, Bonny "Prince" Billy, Low, Sun Kil Moon, Beat Happening, Neil Young.

4. Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio. (1)an 1869 Swedish Bible, (2)a Richard Simmons workout book, (3)all my childhood sketchbooks/yearbooks.

5. What is your least favorite famous work of art?
the Mona Lisa....I've seen it, its overrated.

6. What art do you have hanging on your walls?

Old hunting lodge paintings, annon. turn of the century portraits, good friend's mini collections.

7. What are you working on now?
drawing and painting with my eyes closed.

8. What will the title of your retrospective at MOMA be?
The Future Doesn't Exist.

Thanks Allen!
For more on Alternative Futures, now exhibiting Allen's work visit HERE
For more on Allen Brewer visit HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment