Sunday, October 10, 2010

All About You...next up Liz Miller!


Liz Miller:

1. What is your first art related childhood memory?

My first art-related childhood memory is of sitting at the kitchen table drawing on big sheets of computer paper. Both my parents are computer programmers, and in those days computers took up entire rooms...and relied on big sheets of paper! My mom would bring home all of the scrap paper and my sisters and I would use it to make art. There was never a set goal, just the freedom to create. I would draw for hours and hours. And, because the paper was all connected together, we could create huge panoramic drawings.


2. As an artist, who is your biggest influence?

My biggest influences are people who have pushed the boundaries between painting and sculpture. As a young student, I was particularly impressed by Jessica Stockholder and Polly Apfelbaum. They were using the language of painting in a sculptural and materially innovative way. And I've been really influenced by my husband, David Hamlow, who is also an artist. We share a studio. His work is very different from mine, but watching his process has made me question my own process and see things in new ways.


3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show?

Everything from Loretta Lynn to The National to Jay-Z to Car Talk.


4. Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio.

1) Wrist braces (to keep me in fine cutting form) 2) A winter jacket (our studio gets really cold...even in the summer) 3) Teeny tiny drawings (my work is not always large-scale!)


5. What is your least favorite famous work of art?

Dali's The Persistence of Memory


6. What art do you have hanging on your walls?

Our house is 100 years old and we love antiquing. We have lots of great antique/vintage florals and images of courtship. Their simplicity....and sometimes awkwardness...is appealing to me, and they fit the house. We also have quite a few treasured works by our talented friends.


7. What are you working on now?

I'm working on several large projects that continue to integrate motifs from pattern, ornament, and decoration and splice them with weapon-related imagery. I'm also trying to keep up the momentum with my works on paper--I've really enjoyed devoting additional time to that part of my practice.


8. What will the title of your retrospective at MOMA be?

Rock, Felt, Scissors


Thanks Liz!
For more on Systematics, now exhibiting Liz's work visit HERE
For more on Liz Miller visit HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment