Saturday, May 13, 2017

Studio visit with Syed Hosain


When we’re not in the gallery, you’ll often find Alison, Britt, and Carolyn checking out exhibitions and artist studios. There’s so many interesting artists and projects, we’ll be sharing some here with you. If you are interested in a studio visit or have an exhibition coming up, please email us at info@soovac.org Britt and Carolyn had the pleasure of visiting Syed Hosain’s studio and home a few times last month. 

Enjoy!   


Syed Hosain and his studio assistant Sadie

Syed Hosain is a working artist, stay at home father, and political activist that lives in Minneapolis.  Hosain received his bachelor of fine arts degree at the University of Karachi, Pakistan. He has exhibited in the Twin Cities, New York and Pakistan. You can see two of his paintings at the MSP Airport in Terminal 2 in the SooVAC installation case.
 

Q. Where do you work?

A. I work at home. In the basement or garage, depending on the weather. I work in the basement during the winter and the garage during the summer. Typically, I work on bigger works in the summer and smaller works in the winter.

Q. Why work at home?

A.  I am a full time stay at home dad. I raise the kids (3 kids). I run into the studio when I have time its not only accessible but It’s also affordable.


Q. What are you working on right now? 


A. I’m working on abstract paintings, landscapes. The landscapes are somewhat referential: my childhood around mountains and sea in Pakistan from memory and at times is political: colors representing anxiety. The large size represents the idea of freedom. Freedom of painting and abstract dictates how the narrative happens. I think a lot about space: Minnesota and Minneapolis feel so spacious and vast to me. It feels suburban not urban. I also think about occupying space. I feel free to make muscular paintings with a lot of paint and not be so concerned with the outcome.


Q. You currently were awarded the MSAB grant, what’s your project for that?

A. I’m working on painting portraiture that are very painterly and a multi-layered penetration of individuals in the Somali community. My family and I go to mosque, not just for prayer but also for relationships and community. Most mosques in MN are predominantly Somali. When we moved here 4 years ago from NY, we started to meet a lot of Somali people at the mosque. I don’t pick people randomly; it’s people I have relationships with. I am taking photographs of these people within their home because I’m interested in Interiors and love that each home offers a different experience. The objects people surround themselves with tell a lot about their culture and community. 

Gaza- Capital In Wreckage 
Capital In Wreckage
Delights and Liabilities  





Culture and Wilderness 

    



Q. Where do you see art and artists in the current political climate?

A. Actually, I believe great things will happen now because of the 2016 election. People are paying attention to art, there's a lot of discussion around it right now. It is time for us to fight. We’ve been complacent. Our backs are against the wall. Artists should reach out. They should invite their neighbors, invite the bodega owner they see every day to openings. Share the art. That is what community is.

fanning the flames




SooVAC installation at the MSP Airport, Terminal 2. Syed's paintings are on the left and right of the case. Also featured is work by Alison Hiltner, Terrence Payne, Andrea Carlson, Aaron Dysart, and Michon Weeks.



Want to see more of Syed's work? Follow on Instagram:  Syed Hosain

1 comment: