Sunday, August 17, 2014

Elena Lavorato Gets to Know Garrett Perry



 Can you tell me a little about your process? How much change does the painting undergo from what you originally set out to create?
My work is very process driven and the paintings change quite a bit during the process. Usually I'll have an idea of what I want to paint. I work in my sketchbook to determine compositions and concepts. I initially paint fast and with vigor. After a ground of bold and bright colors is laid down I tend to slow down. I then intuitively respond to the shapes and alter and add layers. I typically will set paintings aside and come back to them weeks later. I like responding to them with a fresh set of instincts.

 The placement and size of some of your figures are reminiscent of traditional portraiture, in particular Romantic Imagination; however the subject is disfigured or partially concealed in a way. Are you in fact mimicking traditional portrait style and in what manner?

Yes. I use traditional portraiture as a departure point. The intent is not to disfigure the subject but for the physicality of the paint to create a barrier between the subject and viewer.

The majority of your paintings appear as close ups, a snap shot of a much larger scene, can you tell me anything about this?

They are. They are segments of a larger scene, memories of a story that has been mostly forgotten. They are meant to be elusive.



Your color pallet reminds me of an ice cream rainbow, what attracts you to pastel colors?

I like mixing a lot of white with my paint to make the painting appear flat. I don't think of them as pastels but as colors being within a similar value range. If the paintings were grey scale they'd all be a similar grey.


You say on your website that you watched a lot of television in your younger years, why was that the case?
I am a child of the late 80's/ early 90's. It was available.


How do television and visual culture inspire your paintings?

It's not so much TV as it is visual culture in general. I take images from the internet, magazines and art history books and use them as visual sources. From the visual sources I work in my sketch book to create compositions and ideas.
Do you surround yourself by anything inspiring while you paint? Photographs? Music?

Music is extremely important to my process. I need to be wearing headphones to keep myself distracted from the real world. I also surround myself with images. My studio is filled with open books, magazines, photographs, and computer print outs.

Who are your favorite artists?


In no particular order. Max Beckmann, George Condo, Picasso, Matisse, Rembrandt, Tal R, Eric Yahnker, Chantal Joffe, Allison Schulnik, Dana Schutz, Jeff Koons, Gerhard Richter, Brad Phillips, and Cindy Sherman. They have all been very influential over the last ten years, at one point or another.


Check out Garrett Perry's work, along with Sophia Heymans, in Lovesickness With Trees at SooVAC. For more information click here!





No comments:

Post a Comment