Friday, May 4, 2012

All About You...Kurtis Skaife

Here is some insight into exhibiting artist Kurtis Skaife...knitting and football what a fantastic combination:


1.  What is your first art related childhood memory?
My family's Halloween decorations were damaged somehow, so I drew monsters to hang around the house.  I remember the main theme was that all the monsters had multiple arms or multiple heads.


2.  As an artist, who is your biggest influence?
I became obsessed with Robert Crumb when I discovered him in high school.  I was initially attracted to the weirdness and gross-out factor and I sill love his stuff today but for different reasons.  When I discovered him I became aware that there are contemporary artists which was a huge realization for me.


3. What did you listen to in the studio while creating this show?
I listened to/watched lots of NFL games, Odd Future, Das Racist and NPR.


4.  Name three unexpected items one would find in your studio.
In my studio you would find a Minnesota North Stars pennant, the first Nightmare on Elm Street poster and a basil plant.


5.  What is your least favorite famous work of art?

 I can't really pick a least favorite piece of art but I  have always been particularly disturbed by bad looking cartoons.  They just grossed me out.  I remember the Flintstones and Charlie Brown specials were the biggest offenders.


6.  What art do you have hanging on your walls?

 I have art from friends including really nice stuff by Lindsay Smith, Jes Seamans and Luke Thomas.  I also have a giant Frank Stella screenprint that I found in a curbside trash in uptown years ago.  Its my greatest find.


7.  What are you working on now?
I am taking a break from crocheting to try and get reacquainted with drawing.


You can see more of Kurtis's work in The Looming until May 20th.

More about Kurtis Skaife HERE

1 comment: